The land of opposites – Dubai is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. Be it the majestic Burj Khalifa and the skyscrapers, or pristine beaches and vast sand deserts, you will find everything in Dubai. Be it any time of the year, Dubai will always entertain you.
History of Dhow Cruises
The earliest traces of civilization around dates back to around 2500 BC and for millennia the shallow water of Dubai Creek has been supporting fishermen and local pearl industries.
As in the case of any civilization, Dubai Creek has played a significant role in the region’s development as it was the primary source of livelihood.
Among other attractions, Dubai has the famous Dhow cruises that you can enjoy. Glide in the tranquil Dubai Creek on a traditional Arabian Dhow while enjoying a sumptuous and lavish buffet spread out onboard. This is a one-of-a-kind experience is a must-try an activity to do when you are in Dubai.
Dubai Creek Dhow Cruises
Dine on board the traditional Dhow while sailing along Dubai Creek. Enjoy the exquisite vistas of Deira and Bur Dubai in a cozy and welcoming ambiance. With ancient monuments lining both the sides of the Creek such as Heritage Village, souks, Sheikh Saeed’s House, the Grand Mosque and the Old Boat Fort, you will be amazed at how beautiful Dubai looks. The 2-hour-long ride in the Dhows usually starts after sunset covers almost entire Dubai Creek.
The riverbank in itself is one of Dubai’s iconic attraction. Once aboard the restored Dhows, you are welcomed by offering a drink and as soon as the cruise begins, you can enjoy the sight of beautiful skyscrapers lit in all its glory lining the beach. Enjoy a spread of traditional Arabian cuisine and mouth-watering gourmet specialties inspired by original Emirati dishes.
Gaze the splendid views and soak in the beautiful scenery of the Creek where you will find the modern era’s development blending perfectly with the charm of the old and traditional side of Dubai.
You can also enjoy a variety of activities such as dancing to traditional music, live music performances, and traditional Tanura dance shows.
This is the different way of seeing the beauty of Dubai if you want to avoid the crowd. Walk down the memory lane while smelling the mixed aroma coming from spice souks, and watching the shimmer of gold from the Gold Souk.
Dhow Cruise Boarding Points
A Dhow cruise in Dubai can be boarded from two places. One is the good old Dubai Creek and other is Dubai Marina.
While the Dubai Creek boasts of the bustling busy streets of souqs and other markets; Dubai Marina is more of an uptown area of Dubai. From the best in the world boutique showrooms to the amazing party hangouts in Dubai, a Dhow cruise offers nothing but enjoyment from both its boarding points. You don’t come to either Dubai Creek or Dubai Marina to simply board, with an array of amazing activities, both these harbours are major tourist spots as well.
Dhow Cruise Activities
The traditional Dubai dhow cruise includes an ecstatic ride of 90 minutes. In these 90 minutes of the scenic ride, you get the following as basics:
- 90-minutes cruising in Dubai Marina, Yacht Club, Marina Towers
- International buffet dinner with meat and vegetarian dishes
- Access to fully air-conditioned lower deck and open-air upper deck
- Welcome drinks, water, tea and coffee
- Tanura Dance by a professional artist
- Soft background music
- Separate toilet facilities for men and women
- Pick up and drop off facility (if sharing/private transportation option selected)
Things to know before you go for a Dhow Cruise in Dubai
A Dhow cruise is one of the finest activities to be enjoyed in Dubai but only if you know how to enjoy it the best. Here are some tips that may help you:
- Try and book through an operator who owns the Dhow cruise and not through a third party service. The maintenance and the service are better if it is a self-owned Dhow where you have full control.
- Although a Dhow cruise is one of the safest travels, go for operators that offer insurance as a part of the bookings for the customers. It assures of the company’s credibility too.
- Most of the reputed operators offer a pick-up and drop facility from your hotel or place of residence. Don’t forget to avail the service, especially if you’re a tourist and can save some bucks on transport.
- Although the tour lasts 90 minutes, the boarding and dropping off makes the trip for almost 3 hours. So, it has some spare time at hand.
- Make sure you mention your food preference to them beforehand. Most of the dhow cruise operators oblige with the vegetarian and non-vegetarian preferences of their customers.
What makes a Dhow Cruise a Must Experience Activity in Dubai?
- It is a unique way of experiencing the majestic skyline of Dubai. The Dubai skyline looks loveable at night and is a must-see.
- It offers a much-needed and delightful respite from the scorching heat of the city.
- It offers a glimpse into the traditional Tanura dance and belly dancing, one of the traditional Arabian dance forms.
Taking a Dhow cruise is an activity that sort of completes your trip to Dubai. It is refreshing, entertaining, includes sumptuous three-course dinner and allows you to spend quality time in peace and serenity with your loved ones. What more can one ask for? After all, this is the point of the vacation, isn’t it?
For more information and ideas of things to do in Dubai, visit Dubai Wikia.