Princess Cruises has announced that it will be updating its high-speed onboard WiFi, called MedallionNet. This will mean that by the end of 2019, high-speed WiFi will be available on ten of its ships (more than half the line’s fleet).
This is excellent news for cruisers who need reliable and fast WiFi on their mobile devices. Many people like to switch off from technology whilst on a cruise but sometimes a fast, reliable connection is needed to stay in touch with family or check in at work (heaven forbid!).
New Ships Receiving MedallionNet
MedallionNet is currently only available on four ships: Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess and Ruby Princess. The roll out will continue throughout the fleet as follows:
- Coral Princess on April 5 during Alaska season
- Island Princess on May 15 during Alaska season
- Crown Princess on June 30 during a summer of departures from Southampton across the British Isles
- Emerald Princess on August 3 as it sails the Mediterranean with departures from Rome, Athens and Barcelona
- Sky Princess, will begin service in October fully Medallion-activated
- Golden Princess on December 20 as she departs on a variety of voyages in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific
Tony Roberts from Princess Cruises said “Guests now have the option to stay connected whenever and wherever they are. MedallionNet gives them the option to stream, video chat and connect as much or as little as they’d like.”
News about when the remaining ships in the fleet will get MedallionNet is set to be announced at a later date.
New Ships Getting OceanMedallion
Princess has also announced when the following ships will be fully Ocean Medallion-activated:
- Royal Princess on April 13
- Crown Princess on July 24
- Sky Princess, when it launches on October 20
The Medallion is the same size as a 10p piece. It’s fully-automated and has no visible technology such as an on-off switch or charging function.
What does the OceanMedallion do?
The OceanMedallion offers a number of guest benefits including:
- A streamlined embarkation and disembarkation process. Guests can get on and off the ship more easily
- Keyless stateroom access meaning guests no longer need a keycard
- Enhanced and personalised service from crew members. Crew can see guest’s individual food and drink preferences, loyalty level and other information to offer a more personal interaction
- OceanNow allows guests to order food and drink from their mobile phone or smart device wherever they are on the ship. The OceanMedallion tells crew exactly where they are located
- OceanCompass, which works alongside the Ocean Medallion to allow people to easily locate friends, family and their children. It also helps passengers to find their way to a variety of facilities and venues
- Easy payment for drinks, shore excursions and other onboard services
- JourneyView offers guests an interactive timeline to view their real-time itinerary as well as events and activities taking place on their cruise
- Interactive games that can be played on portals around the ship and the top deck ‘Movies Under The Stars’ screen. This includes trivia challenges and a ship-wide digital scavenger hunt!
For more information or to book visit Princess Cruises, speak to your local travel agent or call 0344 338 8663.
Princess Cruises Deals
12-night British Isles cruises from Southampton from £999pp on Crown Princess
11-night Scandinavia fly-cruise from £1,099pp on Regal Princess
7-night Mediterranean fly-cruise from £599pp on Emerald Princess
7-night Spain and France cruise from Southampton from £649pp on Sapphire Princess
Up to $500 free onboard spend per couple with 2019 Mediterranean fly-cruises. Book with a £50pp low deposit by 30 April.
Book a Mediterranean fly-cruise for 2020 with only a £50pp deposit and enjoy up to $500 free onboard spend per couple. Join the recently refreshed Crown Princess as you sail to one stunning Mediterranean port of call after another, and experience all of her new top-deck venues too. Come back feeling fabulous, come back new.