Here’s a comprehensive guide to Amawaterways Gratuities to help you plan and budget for your next European river cruise.
AmaWaterways does not include gratuities in its cruise fare. Unlike many cruise lines, it does not automatically add daily gratuities to your onboard account. Instead, AmaWaterways gratuities are left to your discretion and ultimately, your experience of the service. This means you can choose the amount to tip.
Disclaimer: I was invited to cruise onboard AmaMagna as part of a VIP Fam Trip organised by AmaWaterways.
How do AmaWaterways Gratuities Work?
At the end of your AmaWaterways river cruise, you are given the option to pay gratuities by cash or credit card.
Two cash envelopes are left in your stateroom (one for crew, one for the Cruise Manager). A deposit box for these gratuity envelopes is situated by the Reception Desk.
Gratuities paid by credit card can be made at the Reception Desk.
Crew gratuities: these gratuities are divided equally amongst the crew. This task involves the Hotel Manager and another member of staff physically opening every gratuity envelope and dividing the cash evenly. Gratuities paid by credit card can be electronically divided between the crew.
Cruise Manager: the Cruise Manager is tipped separately from the river ship crew.
What Currency are AmaWaterways Gratuities?
Gratuities that are paid by credit card will be in Euros for all European river cruises. You may want to use a credit card with a 0% currency conversion for gratuities. This will avoid additional changes from you credit card provider.
It is recommended that cash gratuities are given in Euros.
AmaWaterways does not accept Traveller’s Checks onboard.
Mekong: All onboard charges are in Vietnamese Dong. Payable in cash (USD or Vietnamese Dong) or with credit card. Pre-paid credit cards are not accepted.
Africa: All onboard charges are in US Dollars. Payable in cash in the following currencies: US Dollar, Rand (South Africa), Pula (Botswana), Tanzanian Shilling (Tanzania) and credit card (Mastercard/Visa, not American Express). Pre-paid charge cards are not accepted.
What are the Recommended Gratuities for AmaWaterways?
To help guests, the following guidance is offered by AmaWaterways:
7-night river cruise
Crew gratuities: 100 Euros per person for a 7-night river cruise (120 Euros on AmaMagna)
Cruise Manager: 25 Euros per person for a 7-night river cruise
For example, two people on a 7-night river cruise are recommended to pay 145 Euros each or 290 Euros in total. Remember, this is simply a guide and you are free to choose how you show your appreciation to the crew and Cruise Manager.
10-night river cruise
Crew gratuities: 143 Euros per person
Cruise Manager: 36 Euros per person
11-night river cruise
Crew gratuities: 158 Euros per person
Cruise Manager: 40 Euros per person
Crew gratuities: 200 Euros per person
Cruise Manager: 50 Euros per person
If you have booked extended land stays with AmaWaterways, it’s recommended to tip the Cruise Manager an additional 4 Euros per guest, per additional day.
Should I Tip Tour Guides on an AmaWaterways River Cruise?
It is customary to tip the motorcoach driver and tour guide up to 2 Euros on AmaWaterways excursions.
AmaWaterways Pre-Paid Gratuities
You can choose to pre-pay the gratuities for your AmaWaterways river cruise. This can be done with your travel agent or directly with AmaWaterways before your river cruise.
- Useful Guide to Specialty Dining on Sky PrincessThis quick guide to specialty dining on Sky Princess gives you the key information to help you plan your cruise and decide where to eat onboard.
- Complete Tui River Cruises Drinks GuideTui River Cruises offers passengers the option to purchase an All-inclusive Drinks Package on its river cruise ships but do you need it? In this Tui River Cruises Drinks Guide, I explain what’s included in the drinks package and list the drinks prices onboard so you can decide for yourself if you want the package.
- Useful Tips for your Suez Canal CruiseEverything you need to know about a Suez Canal cruise including important landmarks, tips and where to get the best views on the ship.
- A Guide to the North Star on Royal Caribbean shipsThe North Star on Royal Caribbean ships offers a unique view of the ship and its destinations, this guide gives you all the information you need including: which ships, prices, booking, special experiences and restrictions.
- What are the plug sockets on Princess Cruises?Unsure if you need to take plug adapters on your next Princess cruise? Here’s a complete list of plug sockets on Princess Cruises ships.
What is included on an AmaWaterways river cruise?
AmaWaterways includes many things within the cruise fare including excursions, wellness activities and onboard Wi-Fi. Full list of everything included in an AmaWaterways river cruise.